Wimdu started as a small international team in March 2011, but has quickly grown into a tightly-knit group of 250 dedicated employees worldwide.
Still growing rapidly, Wimdu is now a leading online platform offering private accommodation for all tastes and budgets. By connecting guests and hosts worldwide, Wimdu offers an enjoyable, authentic travel experience for those looking for a smart alternative to hotels.
From penthouse apartments in New York, to holiday homes in Majorca and city studios in Paris, Wimdu's range of over 300,000 properties in more than 100 countries ensures that everybody can find attractive, affordable accommodation for their next trip.
But that's not all. Wimdu also lets you rent out your own place to those looking for a place to stay. Listing is free, and allows hosts to make money from their extra space whilst helping others explore the world.
- March 2011
- Berlin, Germany
- > 15 languages
- > 150 countries
- > 250 employees
- > 300,000 properties
- > 1 million registered users
- > $90,000,000 financing
Wimdu was founded in 2011 by Arne Bleckwenn and Hinrich Dreiling, two close friends who had successfully founded two companies together before establishing Wimdu. Having become increasingly dissatisfied with expensive, anonymous hotels, the pair decided to create Wimdu, a company which would combine technical know-how, a passion for travel and a closer attention to the individual needs of users.
Towards the end of 2014, Bleckwenn and Dreiling decided to step down as the CEO’s of Wimdu to join the Board of Directors, so they started their search for the right people to take their place. They found very suitable candidates in Arne Kahlke and Soren Kress, and CEO duties were voluntarily handed over at the beginning of 2015. The new CEO’s bring with them the combined expertise necessary to raise Wimdu to the next level. Having previously founded the dating website “ElitePartner”, Kahlke and Kress moved on to successfully position “Parship” as the number one matchmaking platform in Germany. Through their leadership skills, Wimdu will continue its success as one of the world’s leading platforms offering a smart alternative to hotels.
With over 250 international employees working at our Berlin headquarters and our Lisbon office, we are a diverse team of highly-qualified and enthusiastic people all aiming to turn private, home-grown rentals into an easy to use global norm. Our goal is to provide an accessible, affordable alternative to hotels, with a strong focus on quality and value for money.
Wimdu connects hosts and guests from all over the world
Jason & Sarah were a lovely couple and it was great to meet them. We shared many hours chatting which was fun and easy. They are personable, clean and tidy as well as very respectful. Everything you could ask for from a guest. I would welcome them back in a second! I hope you guys are well! A & B
We are on our second honeymoon, doing a travel and sights degustation around Europe with budget in mind. We found accommodation with Wimdu as we wanted a local and more personal experience where we would get to meet other people. We have only positive things to say. Ahman and Bruce were friendly and hospitable. They have a lovely home (...) We regret that we only stayed for three days!
When you open the door of your house to Nicole and Anne, you feel like you are welcoming old friends. We had such a good time with them. Nicole and Anne are very nice persons, very easy- going, friendly an with a lot of enthusiasm. We highly recommend them to any host. We wish this mother and daughter all the best for life. Thanks for choosing us and you are very welcomed to come back again anytime. Greets from Anna and Jordy, Barcelona :)
Both our hosts made us feel very welcome. Being in a strange city with my daughter it was great to have the house of Anna and Jordy as our 'home base'. It is easy to get to every place in Barcelona by subway or by foot, and being so close to the Park Guell makes it extra special. (...) But our stay was especially great because of the care Anna and Jordy show for their guests. Go visit them! Nicole
Terms and Conditions
General Terms and Conditions (GTC) for using the online platform wimdu.com
(Last updated version)
Scope, amendment of General Terms and Conditions
- The General Terms and Conditions (GTC) below apply to the use of the platform www.wimdu.com (also: “platform”). This is a service of Wimdu GmbH (“Wimdu” or “we”).
- “Users” within the sense of these General Terms and Conditions are natural and legal persons who have registered and whose registration has been confirmed by Wimdu.
- Wimdu offers the usage of its platform, in particular the use of the database, solely on the basis of these General Terms and Conditions.
- By registering for or using our services, users consent to the validity of these General Terms and Conditions.
- Wimdu reserves the right to amend its General Terms and Conditions effective for the future if an adjustment is necessitated by economic or legal grounds. The amendments will not become part of the agreement until the user consents to such amendments. It is sufficient for this purpose that Wimdu sends the new version of the General Terms and Conditions to the e-mail address that the user provided for information purposes. If the user does not contradict the amendments to the General Terms and Conditions within one week, consent will be considered to have been granted.
- Conflicting terms and conditions of the user have no effect (point 2.5 notwithstanding), even if Wimdu does not contradict them.
Performance by Wimdu, performance by providers
- The platform is an online market place on which users can offer and rent apartments, houses, rooms or other accommodation (“accommodation”).
- On www.wimdu.com, Wimdu provides a platform on which users can communicate with each other and conclude agreements. Wimdu itself does not offer any accommodation; it merely acts as an intermediary for the conclusion of agreements between users.
- Leases are concluded exclusively between the user providing the accommodation (“provider”) and the user renting the accommodation (“tenant”). Wimdu itself is not a party to the leases concluded between the website’s users. However, Wimdu is entitled to act as a representative for the provider with the authority to conclude agreements and to conclude agreements on his behalf. However, the provider and the tenants are themselves responsible for satisfying their own contractual obligations. In the event of default, this must be negotiated between the users. Wimdu saves and will transmit the contact data of both parties for this purpose.
- Wimdu does not examine the legality, accuracy or completeness of offers published on the platform or user content, and these do not represent the views of Wimdu. Wimdu is not responsible for third-party offerings or content.
- Providers can apply their own terms and conditions to the accommodation they are renting that do not affect the General Terms and Conditions of Wimdu.
- Providers and tenants are responsible for their adherence to the provisions governed by public law, including municipal codes regarding property rental.
Registration, realisation of the user agreement, contractual declarations
- User registration is required for the use of Wimdu’s offering. Registration is free of charge and requires that users accept Wimdu’s General Terms and Conditions. The user agreement between Wimdu and the user arises on receipt of the registration confirmation e-mail at the e-mail address provided by the user. There is no claim to the conclusion of such a user agreement.
- Registration is available only to natural persons, legal persons and partnerships that are fully legally competent. The registration of a legal person or partnership may be performed only by a natural person with power of representation who must be named. When registering, only individual persons may be given as the owner of the user account (i.e. no married couples or families).
- When registering, the user undertakes to provide accurate, up-to-date and complete information as required by the registration form, in particular first and last name, current address (not a PO box), a valid e-mail address and, where appropriate, the name of the company and an authorised representative. The data must be up-to-date and correct at all times. Multiple registrations under different member names are prohibited. When registering, the user chooses a member name and a password. The member name cannot be an e-mail or Internet address, must not violate third-party rights – in particular naming or trademark rights – and must not transgress the bounds of common decency. After registration, the user is assigned a password and a name for his user account.
- The user can receive contractual declarations at his stated e-mail address.
- By approving the general terms and conditions, the user agrees to receive newsletters and similar information via e-mail. The user can revoke their consent at any time without any costs.
User obligations, user account, system integrity
- The user is solely responsible for all content that he places on the platform. In his relationship to Wimdu, he commits not to place illegal content on the platform and to refrain from actions that violate laws.
The provider is responsible for ensuring that the accommodation he offers is described
correctly and completely. He must provide the information in Wimdu’s required fields at a
minimum so that the accommodation and the offer are described with sufficient accuracy.
In addition, the provider is free to stipulate further conditions such as the amount of any
deposit, the cost of final cleaning, cancellation options, etc. The various cancellation
policies that can be agreed are available under cancellation policies. The user
undertakes to keep the information in his user account up-to-date and accurate at all
times, i.e. to correct it immediately in the event of a change. A user account cannot be
- The user undertakes to use his user account himself only and to keep his password secret.
- The user is liable to Wimdu for all actions performed using his user account, unless the user is not responsible for the misuse of his user account.
- Once the user is aware that third parties have access to his user data or have otherwise gained access to his user account, he must notify Wimdu of this immediately. Wimdu is entitled to then block the user account until the situation has been clarified.
- Each user must independently verify the identity of his respective contract partner. Wimdu accepts no liability for the accuracy of the user contact information entered on the platform.
- The user undertakes to set up his systems and programmes in connection with the use of Wimdu offering in a way that ensures that the security, integrity and availability of systems set up by Wimdu to provide its services are not affected. Users must not block, rewrite, or modify content generated by Wimdu or interfere with the Wimdu offering in any other way that contravenes the purpose of the user agreement. Wimdu is entitled to set up the required measures in accordance with section 12 as are necessary to ensure the system integrity of Wimdu or third-party systems.
- Users must not use addresses, contact data, or e-mail addresses that they obtain by using the website for any purpose other than for contractual communication. In particular, these data must not be forwarded to unauthorised persons or used to send advertising, unless the user in question has expressly granted his consent in advance.
- The user absolutely must not send mass messages with the same content via the platform. Any spamming or similarly harassing action towards other users or third parties is prohibited.
- Each user is himself responsible for archiving any information that can be viewed on the website and saved by Wimdu that is required for the purposes of preservation of evidence, accounting, etc. on a storage medium independent of Wimdu.
- In the event of a violation of these General Terms and Conditions by a user, Wimdu is entitled to exercise its virtual householder rights. Wimdu can exclude the user in question from using its services, delete the content he uses, or take other measures within the meaning of section 12. Wimdu will take legal action to exercise its legitimate rights to forbearance and compensation.
Handling of content and rights
- Within the framework of the platform’s functionality, providers can present to potential tenants using a variety of media. Certain rules must be complied with to ensure that the various media are utilised legally so that neither the user nor Wimdu can be made liable. These rules derive, for example, from laws protecting copyrights and brands in addition to these General Terms and Conditions.
- Wimdu saves for the user the multimedia content uploaded by him (images, text, etc.) or merely arranges the necessary memory space and access to it. Users themselves are therefore solely responsible for the multimedia content they upload to Wimdu and indemnify Wimdu against all third-party claims resulting from this. In particular, this indemnification also includes the costs of appropriate prosecution and legal defence.
- Users will therefore ensure that the uploaded content does not violate applicable law or legal provisions, common decency, or in particular third-party rights (naming rights, personality rights, copyright, data protection rights, etc.). In particular, users undertake not to upload content that violates the terms of the Strafgesetzbuch (SGB – German Penal Code) or the Jugendmedienschutz -Staatsvertrag (JMStV – German Interstate Treaty on the Protection of Minors in the Media). The user also undertakes not to utilise content that is pornographic, glorifies violence, or is race baiting. This also applies to the sending of e-mails and other electronic communication media of the platform.
- By uploading multimedia content, users transfer to Wimdu a free, revocable, unlimited, non-local right of use that can be sublicensed to the multimedia content uploaded to Wimdu by the user. In particular, the right of use comprises the right to process the multimedia content for the purposes of the platform and to make it available to the public offline, in printed or electronic form, by wired or wireless connection, in such a way that it is accessible to members of the public at places and times of their choosing, including playback on their chosen receiver terminal that allows online access, in particular stationary and portable computer and mobile handheld devices such as smartphones, tablets and similar equipment. The usage rights also include the right to integrate multimedia content, including advertising media, on websites from Wimdu’s contractual partners.
- The content offered via Wimdu is protected by copyright. The platform is generally accessed and utilised individually by a natural person using a web browser. The use of technologies such as web spiders, crawlers, or similar programmes, the purpose of which is not just the indexing of content but also the mass accessing and saving of the platform’s content is prohibited. This also applies in particular to technologies that enable so-called screen scraping and other third-party services.
- In the event of a violation of these prohibitions and the guidelines of these General Terms and Conditions, Wimdu is entitled to refuse acceptance of content, to delete and block content immediately and to delete the pages and links to them immediately. In such cases the user has no right to the restoration of his multimedia content on the internet platform or the release of his deleted user profile.
Availability and amendment of the website
- The user has no legal claim to permanent use of the platform. In particular, Wimdu is not required to ensure that the platform is available or can be reached at all times. However, Wimdu endeavours to maintain operation of the platform with as few disruptions as possible and to continue to develop it in line with user requirements.
- Wimdu can temporarily restrict use if this is necessary in terms of security, integrity, capacity limits, or the performance of technical measures (maintenance work). In particular, Wimdu will take users’ legitimate interests into account by notifying them in advance.
Liability for third-party sites
- The platform’s pages also include links to websites on the Internet maintained by third parties, the content of which is not known to Wimdu. Wimdu merely provides access to the websites and accepts no responsibility for the content. The links to third-party Internet sites merely serve to facilitate navigation. Wimdu does not espouse the views expressed on the sites to which it links, and rather hereby expressly distances itself from all content on all websites that it links to on its platform.
- The owners of the Internet sites to which the Wimdu platform hyperlinks are solely responsible for both their content and the goods or services offered for sale there.
Booking process, payment, invoicing
- By listing an accommodation on the Wimdu website, the provider is issuing an invitation to submit offers. Another user can submit an offer to conclude a lease for this accommodation. The agreement arises if the provider accepts this offer within 24 hours in a manner intended by Wimdu. Otherwise, the other user is no longer bound to his offer.
- Cancellations are considered to be withdrawals before the planned check-in. One of the options shown under Cancellation Policies can be agreed. Refunds required as a result will be paid by Wimdu to the user using the same channel chosen by him within the meaning of section 8.4.3.
The provider must ensure that:
- the description of the accommodation and the images used do not violate the law or third-party rights and that they relate only to the accommodation on offer.
- successfully booked accommodation is indicated accordingly.
- information uploaded does not constitute references to third-party content.
- he complies with public law regulations, particularly those for payment, factoring and tax law obligations, which may also include any obligations under sales tax law or indirect tax obligations. The provider will be solely responsible of the obligations and duties of the offer content. Wimdu is entitled to verify the offer of the users and ask for the corresponding proofs.
The payment process shall take place under the following provisions:
- The agreement arises by way of a total price shown at the end of the booking. This consists of the rent and the processing fee, which comprises an administration component and a property-based component determined by the rent. After a booking has been made, Wimdu notifies users of its content and the total price.
- Wimdu is entitled to change the amount of processing fees at any time. This does not apply to leases already concluded. The provider will be notified of the amount of the processing fee by e-mail in a timely manner together with the booking inquiry.
- The tenant must pay the total price shown in the booking, possibly in several instalments, by way of the channel chosen in the booking process. Wimdu receives the money from the tenant on behalf of the provider and holds it for the provider in a non-interest-bearing trust account. If debt collection is unsuccessful, the tenant must reimburse any additional costs incurred. This does not apply if the tenant is not responsible for the failure of debt collection.
- On conclusion of the booking process, the tenant instructs Wimdu to transfer the rent to the provider 24 hours after the start of his stay in the rented accommodation. If use of the accommodation is not transferred to the tenant as per contractual arrangement, the tenant has the right to revoke this instruction to Wimdu. Instructions to Wimdu must be revoked immediately stating grounds and using the contact form.
- The provider shall satisfy his obligation to pay the processing fee to Wimdu by way of Wimdu transferring this from the trust account to his own, so that the provider does not have to make any further payments.
- Users can offset Wimdu processing fees against receivables only if these are due and have been legally established or are undisputed. Receivables cannot be transferred to third parties.
- On request, the provider must issue the tenant with an invoice for the total price. On request, Wimdu will issue the provider with an invoice for the processing fee, though this will be shown without sales tax or similar indirect taxes in accordance with tax law provisions, unless expressly stated otherwise in these regulations.
- Unless Wimdu is notified otherwise, it is refutably assumed that the provider operates in a business capacity and is aware of his resulting (sales) tax obligations and satisfies these accordingly. Wimdu is entitled to demand corresponding evidence of the provider’s business capacity.
- The provider reserves the right to additionally charge other on-site costs based on consumption and use (in particular: electricity, water, heating). The provider must advise the tenant that he has a basic right to charge these costs before concluding the agreement. Such costs are not taken into account in the calculation of the processing fee. This also applies to any security deposit.
- Booking vouchers issued by Wimdu can be used by tenants to make bookings within set periods. Tenants do not receive any payment.
- Users are prohibited from circumventing the above booking and payment processes, in particular the processing fees.
- The provider is entitled to charge a security deposit in his offer. If a provider demands a security deposit from the tenant on the day of arrival, corresponding information on the amount of the security deposit and the payment method must have already been mentioned in the offer. The amount of the security deposit must be stipulated prior to the booking. It must also be clarified in advance when the amount must be paid (e.g. three months before arrival, in cash on arrival).
- If the provider did not mention the security deposit when advertising his accommodation, but demands a security deposit at a later time and the tenant does not agree, this constitutes a refusal to render performance by the provider under the agreed contract. In such cases, Wimdu reserves the right to cancel the booking and to charge the provider a cancellation fee.
- Wimdu is not responsible for the administration of security deposits or for any claims asserted by the provider.
- The website allows users to review each other after performance of the agreement. Reviews are intended to provide meaningful information on users' trustworthiness. The reviews are not reviewed in advance by Wimdu.
- Users undertake to make only truthful statements in the reviews they submit and to comply with the corresponding legal provisions. The reviews expressed by users must not violate third-party rights, in particular personality rights. They must be objective and must not contain defamatory criticism.
- Any use of the review system contrary to the purpose of the review system is prohibited. In particular, users are prohibited from issuing reviews about themselves or arranging for third parties to let information be known in reviews that is unrelated to the settlement of the underlying agreement, and are prohibited from using reviews for any purpose other than presentation on the website.
- Wimdu does not intervene in the review system without justifiable grounds. Reviews issued will be neither amended nor removed by Wimdu unless Wimdu is legally and specifically required to do so. Reviews cannot be altered after they have been posted. They are saved permanently in a user’s reviews profile and can be viewed by all users. Wimdu is entitled to add notes to a review if this is useful for clarification and a better understanding of the review in question. The only case where Wimdu will publish a review in place of a user is if the Host has cancelled a booking, in which case an automatic one-star review will be published on the offer.
If reviews are abused by a user, Wimdu shall have the right to remove the review as an exception and to take the measures stated in section 12. This applies in particular if:
- the review must be removed on account of an enforceable court ruling against those who issued the review;
- the comment contains remarks that are vulgar, obscene, racist, not suitable for minors, or criminally offensive;
- the review contains another member’s personal information, such as name, address, telephone number or e-mail address;
- the review contains unauthorised links or scripts;
- if a user has inadvertently posted a negative review for the wrong user, but has already corrected this error and assigned the same review to the correct user;
- the review was issued by a person who was not authorised to make the booking;
- the revuew comes from a user whose user account was blocked by Wimdu within 90 days of registration. This does not apply to user accounts that are blocked for non-payment of a processing fee or in situations where users are granted the opportunity to solve the problem and the user account is restored.
- Both parties to the agreement can agree to withdraw a review that has already been issued. The review point will be removed and will no longer be included in the reviews profile.
- The user agreement is concluded for an indefinite period.
- The user can terminate it at any time without notice. A declaration of termination to Wimdu in written form (e.g. letter, fax, e-mail) is sufficient. User's leases with other users that have already been proven or arranged remain unaffected by the termination of the agreement. This applies accordingly to claims for the payment of processing fees already due.
- Wimdu can terminate the user agreement at any time with two weeks’ notice.
This does not affect the right to block, the right to terminate for just cause or individually agreed rights of termination of the user. In particular, Wimdu has just cause if:
- The user does not comply with a not merely insignificant payment obligation in full or in part, despite having been sent a reminder with an appropriate deadline;
- The user violates his obligations under these General Terms and Conditions and does not take remedial action despite having been sent a reminder with a timely deadline. A reminder is not needed if this is not expected to be successful or if the breach is sufficiently severe that it would be unreasonable for Wimdu to maintain the agreement. Furthermore, the severity of the offence can also result from the fact that the user has already been warned several times for similar violations;
- Requirements of law, a court, or an official authority mean that the use of the platform can no longer be offered in this form;
- Wimdu discontinues its platform or business activities;
- Insolvency proceedings are initiated for the user’s assets owing to a lack of funds.
Measures in the event of illegal conduct and/or conduct in breach of contract by the user
If there are specific indications that a user is culpably violating legal provisions, thirdparty rights, or the General Terms and Conditions or if Wimdu otherwise has a legitimate interest, particularly with regard to protecting its users against fraudulent activities, Wimdu can take one or more of the following actions subject to termination without notice:
- Issue the user with a warning;
- Delete the user's offers or other content;
- Restrict the user's use of the website;
- Temporarily or permanently exclude (block) the user from the website;
- Contest and cancel existing leases in the name of the provider without taking into account the otherwise applicable cancellation policies, and reject the user’s offers for the conclusion of a lease in the name of the provider.
- Wimdu also takes the legitimate interests of the user in question into consideration when choosing these measures.
- Leases that have already been concluded between the user and other users are not affected by deletion of an offer. This applies accordingly to claims for the payment of processing fees already due. An effective lease does not arise if Wimdu deletes an offer before it is accepted by a user.
Wimdu reserves the right to block a user in any of the following cases, taking the legitimate interests of the user into account. Wimdu has the right to block a user when:
- the user has repeatedly received negative reviews in the review system as per section 10 and must be blocked to protect the interests of other market participants;
- the user has provided incorrect contact information in his user account, in particular an incorrect or invalid email address;
- a user account is transferred to another party;
- the user significantly harms other users, in particular if their accommodations and/or furnishings are damaged, destroyed, stolen, etc.;
- there is just cause due to similar risk and responsibility of the user.
- a user shows a capture rate that is significantly lower than the average rate and an improvement cannot be predicted.
- After a user has been permanently blocked by Wimdu, he is not entitled to have the blocked user account or the reviews profile restored. The user will also no longer be permitted to use the website with other user accounts or to re-register.
- If there are specific indications that a user is culpably violating legal provisions, thirdparty rights, or the General Terms and Conditions or if Wimdu otherwise has a legitimate interest, particularly with regard to protecting its users against fraudulent activities, Wimdu can take one or more of the following actions subject to termination without notice:
- Wimdu is fully liable for damages caused with intent or through gross negligence by Wimdu, its employees or agents, for fraudulent concealment of defects, if a guarantee was expressly assumed and for damages arising from injury to life, body and health.
- Wimdu is liable for other damages only if they arise from violation of a duty whose fulfilment makes the proper implementation of the agreement possible and compliance with which is regularly trusted by the parties to the agreement. Its duty to pay compensation is limited to such damages considered typical for the agreement and foreseeable. This does not affect any liability under the Produkthaftungsgesetz (German Product Liability Act).
As Wimdu does not participate in the contractual relationship between the tenant and the provider, Wimdu accepts no liability for contracts for accommodation.
- Wimdu is authorised to transfer its rights and obligations under this agreement in full or in part to third parties.
- This agreement is subject solely to the substantive laws of the Federal Republic of Germany with the exception of the UN Convention on the International Sale of Goods and German international private law.
- If the user is a consumer within the meaning of section 13 of the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB – German Civil Code), this does not affect the mandatory consumer protection regulations in which the consumer is ordinarily resident.
- If individual provisions of these General Terms and Conditions are or become wholly or partially invalid, the other General Terms and Conditions are still valid. In the event of such a provision being invalid, it shall be replaced by a legal provision.
- All declarations to be sent in connection with the user agreement to be concluded with Wimdu must be issued in writing or by email. The postal address and email address of a user are those that are stated as the current contact data in the user’s user account.
- Wimdu GmbH has engaged its subsidiary Wimdu Malta Limited (38, Level 2, Emanuel Schembri Street, Birkirkara BKR 1810, Malta) to process its credit card transactions.
1. How does a cancellation work?
- The cancellation policies are selected by the provider. The provider can choose one of three different policies: free cancellation, moderate, or strict. These policies are designed to protect both providers and tenants.
- In accordance with the cancellation policy, cancellations are considered to be withdrawals before the planned check-in.
2. How do I cancel a booking?
- To ensure a smooth and secure process, all cancellations must be processed through Wimdu.
- If you wish to cancel a booking, please contact our customer support team.
- Cancellations made by the guest must be communicated in text form. Cancellations must include the booking code and must be sent from the guest’s email address registered with Wimdu and noted in his user profile.
- Hosts must cancel their bookings through Wimdu's cancellation page, which is available on the "My Listings" page in "My Account". By cancelling though this page, an automated cancellation in text form will be generated and sent to Wimdu's Customer Support.
- Please note that a cancellation is not official until after you have received a confirmation e-mail from Wimdu.
- Our customer support team will immediately handle your cancellation request and inform your provider or tenant. You do not have to take any further action.
3. If the tenant cancels, how are the reimbursement to the tenant and payment to the provider calculated?
3.1. General regulations
- The amount refunded to the tenant is dependent on when a booking is cancelled and the cancellation policy chosen by the provider, or imposed by Wimdu.
- To ensure a smooth and secure process, all cancellations must be processed through Wimdu.
- The refundable amount depends on the cancellation policy. The respective amount of the cancellation fee is shown in the booking process. The regulations under section 8.4. regarding payment processes apply accordingly.
- Regardless of the cancellation policy chosen by the provider, tenants themselves are responsible for proving that the provider incurs no loss or a significantly lesser loss than the cancellation fee.
3.2. Individual cancellation policies
Cancellation Policy: FREE Cancellation
You will be refunded the total price (including the Wimdu Service fee) if you cancel the booking at least 2 days before check-in by 12 noon CET (Central European Time). For cancellations that are made less than 2 days before check-in, you will be refunded 5% of the total price minus the Wimdu service fee.
Cancellation Policy: Moderate
You will be refunded the total price minus the cancellation fee if you cancel the booking at least 4 days before check-in by 12 noon CET (Central European Time). For cancellations that are made less than 4 days before check-in, you will be refunded 5% of the total price minus the cancellation fee.
Cancellation Policy: Strict
You will be refunded half of the total price minus the cancellation fee if you cancel the booking at least 7 days before check-in by 12 noon CET (Central European Time) For cancellations that are made less than 7 days before check-in, you will be refunded 5% of the total price minus the cancellation fee.
4. What happens if the host cancels?
- Wimdu takes booking cancellation very seriously as it gives a negative experience to guests.
- In the case of a cancellation by the host, the guest will be reimbursed the full price of the booking. In such cases, no cancellation fees will be incurred by the guest.
- Wimdu will help the guest find alternative accommodation.
- The host must pay a cancellation fee of 15% of the total price of the booking. The cancellation fee will rise to 50% of the total price if the host cancels the booking less than 8 days before check-in. If the booking had been accepted with "Instant Booking" and the booking is then cancelled within 24 hours after confirmation, the fee will be 5%.
- The cancellation fee will be deducted from the host's next booking.
- The host will not receive a payment from any bookings they have cancelled.
- The listing connected to the cancelled booking will be penalized in the rankings; this could lead to less booking requests in the future.
- A one-star review will automatically be added to the reviews section of the listing connected to the cancelled booking.
5. Special cancellation policies
In the event of bereavement within the family (mother, father, husband/wife, sister, brother, child) between seven days and 24 hours before arrival, the guest will be reimbursed the full price. The host will have no claim to payment. No cancellation fees will be incurred. Less than 24 hours before arriving, the guest will receive 75% and the host 25% of the total price. No cancellation fees will be incurred. A death certificate is required as proof.
5.2. Natural disasters and other unforeseeable events
If natural disasters (avalanche, blizzard, cyclone, hurricane, earthquake, flood, landslide, lightning), war, terrorist attacks or nuclear accidents make it impossible for the host to meet his booking obligations (and he can prove that no alternative, similar accommodation is available) the guest will be reimbursed 100% of the total price. No cancellation fees will be incurred. This also applies if means of transportation are damaged and the guest is unable to reach the accommodation in some other way and can provide evidence of this.
6. What happens if problems occur after check in?
- If you have serious grounds for complaint when checking in, please contact our Customer Support team within 24 hours. If the accommodation has not been left in the condition as described in the agreement, we will send corresponding complaints to the host. After reviewing the case, we will deduct the amount to be paid to the host accordingly and refund the rest to you.
- Please note that a refund is possible only if we receive your complaint within 24 hours after checking in.
- Wimdu reserves the right to demand payment at least in the amount of the processing fee from the host.
The protection of your personal data is very important to us. As far as we collect, process or use ('use'), personal information about you as part of the services provided, this is done so under the relevant German and European data protection laws. We use personal information you actively provide us (e.g. at registration, while making an offer or username, etc.) for the implementation of our services.
We use 'persistent' cookies. They remain on the user's computer to simplify personalization and registration services the next time our site is visited. Cookies can store for example, what the user has selected. The user can always manually remove 'persistent' cookies.
We also use 'session' cookies. These do not stay on the user's computer. Once the user leaves the site, this temporary cookie is deleted. Using the information gathered, we can analyze usage patterns and structures of the site. In this way we can improve our services further and further, such as by improving content, personalization and making the site easier to use.
By means of a so-called 'tracking tool' on the website, data is collected and stored for marketing and optimization purposes. An anonymous user profile is created with the saved data. The user can object to the data collection and storage at any time in the future.
Without the express consent of the user, we will not use the tracking tools to secretly collect personal data about the user, and to forward such data to third parties and marketing platforms, or to link the data with personal data (name, address, etc.).
13355 Berlin, Germany
Managing Directors: Arne Kahlke, Sören Kress
Commercial Register Number: 129773 B
Berlin Court of Registry (Charlottenburg)
VAT Identification Number: DE 276 228 078
Contact our customer support