1. As soon as you can, let me know at what time you expect to arrive. This is important!
2. How do you get your keys? Start by letting me know when you’ll arrive and we’ll work it out. Most likely, I will be there to meet you. I guarantee you’ll be able to get in, IF you tell me when you expect to arrive. If you arrive after booking but never told me at what time you expected to arrive, I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to get you in, and won’t be able to refund that night’s reservation.
3. Don't let the dog outside, please! He's energetic but friendly. Expect to be greeted.
4. Don’t leave food in the room. Keep all food in the fridge.
5. At the end of your stay, just leave the keys on the dresser, nightstand or the breakfast table.
6. You don't need to strip the bed and I'd prefer it if you didn't; I have a routine for changing the linens and keeping track of them.
7. No smoking inside, please.
8. The stove's burners tend not to light readily with the built-in spark generator, so I keep a box of kitchen matches near the stove for lighting them. Help yourself; just blow them out before putting them in the little can I keep out for spent matches.
9. Pull the door shut after you when you walk out, every time, even if you are just going down to the stoop to have a coffee or a smoke. You might have to pull hard!It locks behind you. You don't need to use a key to lock the door. (Bring your keys.)
10. Opening the front door from the inside isn't so tricky but it baffles some people. Unlatch the brass lock in the middle by turning the knob counter-clockwise, then turn the doorknob counter-clockwise and you're free. Be firm with it. When getting in, be reassured that all the keys I've got for you have been tested and used repeatedly; there isn't a bum key in the bunch. I've got instructions printed out and posted just above the lock if you need them.
11. I'm fine with late-night arrivals; Chicago is a great town to stay out late. Please be considerate of my roommate and other guests (relatively quiet) when you return, however.
12. If you need laundry done, there is a very good drop-off launderette on the corner that only charges 50 cents per pound, and has fast turnaround time.