The apartment on the 3 rd floor ( 115 m² ) is a loft conversion, with old rafters and beams and a sloping roof. It has a kitchen (all cooking facilities available) with a dining area, a living area with a fireplace in an old chimney, a bedroom and a bathroom & toilet. The apartment is fully furnished and equipped. The bedroom has a double bed. In the living area, there is a double bed and a folding sofa with a high-quality mattress, possibly sleeping two people. A TV set, satellite, radio/cassette/CD player, and an automatic washing and drying machine are also available. Duvets, beddings, towels, hair dryer, umbrella etc. are provided. The flat is sunny and comfortable, offering an unusual view of the Prague Castle , St. Nicholas Church and the Petrín observation tower (the Prague Eiffel Tower ).
There is a free Wi-Fi.
This historical house is situated in a quiet part of the Malá Strana quarter (Lesser Town), in Vlašská Street, in the immediate vicinity of the Prague Castle, Strahov Monastery, Lesser Town Square and Charles Bridge. All of the main places of interest are within walking distance. The neighbourhood is a very safe area. The house is half way between American and German embassies. There are also small shops and galleries, a police station, a hospital and the largest public park in Prague, the Petrín Hill with an observation tower, which is a smaller copy of Eiffel Tower in Paris, a funicular and a mirror labyrinth, a favourite destination for walks with children. In addition, there is a nice playground nearby.
The house is a listed building. Its first historical name, “At the Cascade”, is documented in the archives; later on, the house was called At the White Shoe, At the Royal Blue Peacock, or At the Green Peacock. Originally, the house was a part of the township of Obora surrounding the church of St. John the Baptist. In 1654, this township was added to Malá Strana (Lesser Town).
This corner house of a slightly trapezoidal plan is a Renaissance building, modified in Early Baroque style before 1666, and radically rebuilt in Classicistic style between 1824 and 1826. This period is shown in Langweil's model of Prague (1826 – 1834). Some changes, most of them not too fortunate, were made during the first half of the 20 th century. In 2004, the house underwent thorough reconstruction to restore it to its former appearance in the highly valued Classicistic style. As evidence of successful restoration by architect Jarmila Vyšínová (construction work by Stavitelství Kladno), there is a new copper plate on the house, reading Cultural Heritage.
The ground floor houses a gallery. Founded in 2002, the gallery specializes in contemporary design jewelery, contemporary design glass, historical glass, paintings, graphics and photography, offering also an eclectic selection of antiques (china, glass, jewelery). The wide range of artefacts is supplemented by artistic postcards and cards, including Czech art stamps. The gallery offers a 5% discount to the guests of the house. It is possible to arrange for shipment by Spedia. Open daily 10,30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (or upon request).